Friday, July 18, 2008

No Place Like Home

What a summer it has been! June 20th I moved into a new apartment on the other side of town. It was a slow process because I would move stuff in the mornings before work. And it was so hot and humid to me, I would only make a couple trips so I had time to get cleaned up and relaxed before work. On the 26th an old friend of mine came up to visit with her 2 kids. Sandy and I have been friends since the 5th grade which is a long time. I was soooooo excited to see them!! That is one of the great things about old friends...no matter how much time passes since you see each other last or talk, you always seem to pick up where you left off. They left on the 29th for back home. Adam and I went to church and then moved the last few items from my old apartment to my new apartment. On the 30th I turned in the keys, went to work, got off at 2330 and then by 0200 Adam and I were on the road to the airport in Omaha. By 0630 we were in the air on our way to CALIFORNIA!!! Man I thought that day was never going to come!! We flew into LAX where my parents picked us up. When we got home, we had a big family bbq. One of my mom's sisters and brothers were both there with their families and my grandmother. My brother and his family were also home. It was the first time my family had been home together in a couple years. That is way too long!! It was so great to see everyone!! We relaxed, went shopping, went on a harbor cruise, hung out on the beach, enjoyed In-N-Out, and just so much more!! My grandparents came out from Arizona on the 3rd. I was soooo happy to be able to see them!!! On the 4th, we had a house full again. This time with my dad's side of the family. That evening we all enjoyed fireworks. Christian did really well. He didn't get scared or anything. This was the last year Fontana is allowing people to do fireworks. Saturday morning Dave, Bev and Christian left for back home in Idaho. Monday morning mom, dad, Adam and I left for LAX. That was so hard. I hated to say bye to them. I hated to leave California. I hated to come back to Iowa. We had a 4 hour lay over in Dallas. My cousin and her husband moved there about a year ago. She picked us up and we went out to dinner. It was really good to see her. Adam and I got back to Des Moines around 2230 that night. For a few days there I had a real hard time adjusting to being back. But I'm doing fine now. I'm excited about things that are happening. Life is slowing down and I'm now focusing on a new job. With the help of a couple smart professionals, I'm confident I'll get the right job. I know God has something out there for me. It's just that His time and my time aren't usually the same. But I have come to the place where I can quietly wait confident that He WILL provide the right job. So I'm patiently waiting (at least trying to). I'm almost all unpacked and feeling more at home again. My new apartment is smaller and older than my previous apartment but I like it. My parents are coming out in October to visit. I'm looking forward to that.

No comments: